International Journal of Industrial Engineering
International Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2017, Pages 43-46.
Implementation of Head Orientation Intelligent Controller for Wheelchair using MEMS Sensor
N. Dhanasekar, R. Abirami, A. Akshayadevi, M. Iswarya , B. Suriya
Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, A.V.C. College of Engineering, Mayiladuthurai - 609305. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
The people who have lost the ability to control upper and lower limbs due to quadriplegia, amputated arms, paralysis or ageing side effects. The user requires special control systems to use an electrical wheelchair instead of using traditional control by joystick. This paper presents a novel implementation of head orientation intelligent controller for wheelchair with integrated sensors and the sensors measures the bio-signals of a person and sends the status to the doctor if abnormalities occur. The system uses accelerometer MEMS sensor, obstacle detection IR sensor, heart beat sensor, temperature sensor, GSM and eye blink sensor. The wheelchair movement direction and speed depend on the position of the user's head related to X, Y and Z axis. The MEMS sensor detects the position of head movement and control signal pass to the microcontroller. The system uses powerful PIC16F877A microcontroller to perform the control application and use embedded C for programming. This wheelchair uses an interactive system which overcomes the difficulties of existing system.
Keywords: Electrical wheelchair; MEMS sensor; Obstacle detection; Microcontroller.
- Gaurav KS , Vidhata P , Yogita S, Pratima S. Hand Gesture Recognition Based Wheel Chair Direction Control Using AVR Microcontroller, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering. 2016;5(6):344-348.
- Azam G, Islam MT. Design and Fabrication of a Voice Controlled Wheelchair for Physically Disabled People. International Conference on Physics Sustainable Development and Technology, 2016. pp.81-90.
- Akira M, Masaharu M, Takeshi S, Tomoyuki O, Yosuke K. Elevator Available Voice Activated Wheelchair, in Proc. 18th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, Toyama, 2009. pp.730-735
- Xiaoling L, Minglu Z, Hui L. Robot Control Based on Voice Command, in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Automation and Logistics, Qingdao, 2008. pp.2490-2494.
- Mohammed FR, Sebastian N, Norbert S, Kerstin T. Design and Testing of Low Cost Three-Modes of Operation Voice Controller for Wheelchairs and Rehabilitation Robotics, in IEEE 9th International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing, Siena, 2015, pp.114-119.
- Kupetz DJ, Wentzell SA, BuSha BF. Head Motion Controlled Power Wheelchair, in IEEE 36th Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, New York, 2010, pp.1-2.
- Henrik VC, Juan CG. Infrared Non-Contact Head Sensor, for Control of Wheelchair Movements, Book Title Book Editors IOS Press, 2003.
- James MF, Saleem JS. Ultrasonic Head Controller for Powered Wheelchair. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 1995,32(3):280-284.
- Farid AK, Shahrouz Y, Li L, Haibo L. Head Operated Electric Wheelchair, in Proc. 2014 IEEE Southwest Symposium on Image Analysis and Interpretation, San Diego, USA, 2014. pp.53-56.
- Dhanasekar N, Subramanian GG. Accidental Navigation and rescue system using GSM and GPS technology. Asian Journal of Research in Social Science and Humanities. 2016;6(11):158-166.
- Madane MR, Agarwal Raksha V, Ghare Radha P, Thorat Priyanka S. Gesture Control Wireless Wheelchair Prototype. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2016;1(4):131-134.
- Ananda Balaji S, Sudhakar TD. Design and Hardware Implementation of Current Controlled IntegratedDouble Buck Boost Converter for LED Driver Circuit. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology. 2016;1(5):164-172.
- Someswaran T, Velayudham TN, Sudhakar TD. Remotely operated terrestrial vehicle, International Journal of Modern Science and Technology. 2016;1(6):102-105.
- Kalasamy G, Mohammed Imthiyaz A, Manikandan A, Senthilrani S. Micro-Controller Based Intelligent Wheelchair Design. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Advanced Technology. 2014;2(2):1-5.
- Anjaneyulu D, Siva Kumar BVNR. Hand movements based control of an intelligent wheelchair Using Accelerometer, obstacle avoidance Using Ultrasonic and IR sensors. International Journal of Engineering Research and Development. 2015;11(7):1-9.