International Journal of Industrial Engineering
International Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2017, Pages 78-91.
A Simple Graphical Algorithm for Feeder Reconfiguration and Service Restoration of Distribution Networks
T. D. Sudhakar, D. Thaniga
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai 600042. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The present article proposes a simple method called kruskal’s algorithm, to solve the distribution feeder reconfiguration problem for loss reduction and service restoration. The method is suggested for very simple feeder reconfiguration and does not involve any mathematical expressions. The test results reveal that the proposed method yields optimal configuration with reduced computation burden and a better restoration plan.
Keywords: Distribution networks; Feeder reconfiguration; Loss reduction; Service restoration.
- Sarma NDR, Ghosh S, Prakasa Rao KS, Srinivas M. Real time service restoration networks. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery Oct 1994; 9(4): 2064–2070.
- Aoki K, Ichimori T. Normal state optimal load allocation in distribution systems. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1987;2(1):147-155.
- Aoki K, Kuwabara H, Satoh T, Kanezashi M. An efficient algorithm for load balancing of transformer and feeders. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1988;3(4):1865-1872.
- Aoki K, Kuwabara H, Satoh T, Kanezashi M. Outage state optimal load allocation by automatic sectionalizing switches operation in distribution systems. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1987;2 (4):1177-1185.
- Aoki K, Satoh T, Itoh M, Kuwabara H, Kanezashi V. Voltage drop constrained restoration of supply by switch operation in distribution systems. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1988;3(3):1267-1274.
- Aoki K, Nara K, Itoh M, Satoh T, Kuwabara H. A new algorithm for service restoration in distribution systems. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1989;4(3):1832-1839.
- Chen CS, Cho MY. Determination of critical switches in distribution system. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1989;7(3):1443-1449.
- Shirmohammadi D, Hong HW. Reconfiguration of electrical distribution network for resistive line losses reduction. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1989;4(2):1492–1498.
- Civanlar S, Grainger JJ, Yin H, Lee SSH. Distribution feeder reconfiguration for loss reduction. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1988;3(4);1217-1223.
- Baran ME, Wu FF. Network reconfiguration in distribution systems for loss reduction and load balancing. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1989;4(2):1401-1407.
- Lee RE, Brooks CL. A method and its application to evaluate automated distribution control. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1988;3(1):1232-1240.
- Sudhakar T D. A Forward Sweeper Method of Load Flow For A Radial Distribution Network. National Conference. 2006;1:56 – 61.
- Lin MJ, Shu PC. An electrical method for finding suboptimal routes. IEEE ISCAS’89. 1989:935-938.
- Hiroyuki M, Senji T. A fast method for topological observability analysis using minimum spanning tree technique. IEEE Transaction on Power System. 1991;6(2);491-500.
- Shun LS, Charles HB, Chi YL. A space efficient short finding algorithms. IEEE Transactions on Computer Aided Design of Integrated Circuit and Systems. 1994;13(8):1065-1068.
- Cavellucci C, Lyra C. Minimization of energy losses in electric power distribution system by intelligent search strategies. International Transaction in Operational Research. 1997;4(1):23-33.
- Michel B. A note on the complexity of Dijkstra’s algorithm for graphs with weighted vertices. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 1998 ;41(2):263.
- Shatnawi A, Ahmad MO, Swamy MN. Scheduling of DSP data flow graphs onto multiprocessor for maximum throughput. Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1999. pp. 386-389.
- Vargas PA, Filho CL, Von Zuben FJ. On-Line Approach for Loss Reduction in Electric Power Distribution Networks Using Learning Classifier Systems. In: Lanzi P.L., Stolzmann W., Wilson S.W. (eds) Advances in Learning Classifier Systems. IWLCS 2001. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2321. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Kaigui X, Jiaqi Z, Billinton R. Reliability evaluation algorithm for complex medium voltage electrical distribution networks based on the shortest path. IEE Proc Gener Transm Distrib. 2003;150(6):686-690.
- Cai TT, Ai Q. Research of PMU optimal placement in power systems. International conference on system theory and scientific computation. 2005. pp.38-43.
- Yixin Y, Jianzhong W. Loads Combination Method Based Core Schema Genetic Shortest–path Algorithm for Distribution Network Reconfiguration. Proceedings of the International Conference on Power System Technology, 2002. pp.1729-1733.
- Lin WM, Chin HC. A new approach for distribution feeder reconfiguration for loss reduction and service restoration. IEEE Trans on Power Delivery. 1998;3(3):870-875.
- Sivanagaraju S, Ramana T. A simple graphical method for feeder reconfiguration and service restoration of distribution networks. Electric Power Components and Systems. 2004;32:883–892.
- Viswanadha Raju GK, Bijwe BR. Efficient reconfiguration of balanced and unbalanced distribution systems for loss minimization. IET Gener Transm Distrib. 2008;2(1):7-12.
- Jizhong Z, Chang CS. Refined genetic algorithm for minimum-loss reconfiguration of electrical distribution network. Proceedings of the International Conference on Energy Management and Power Delivery, 1998. pp. 485-489.
- Sudhakar TD, Vadivoo NS, Slochanal SMR. Heuristic Based Strategy for the Restoration Problem in Electrical Power Distribution Systems. IEEE Conference POWERCON 2004. pp. 635-640.
- Ning X, Haozhong C, Liangzhong Y, Masoud B. Proc. of the IEEE Conf. Electric Utility Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies, 2008, pp.820-822
- Anany L. Introduction to the design and analysis of algorithm. Pearson education, Second impression, 2009.