International Journal of Industrial Engineering
International Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2017, Pages 47-51.
Thevetia Peruviana-A Potential Non-Edible Plant Source for Biodiesel Production
T. K. Kannan¹, S. K. Mohan²
¹Department of Mechanical Engineering, ²Department of Chemical Engineering, The Kavery College of Engineering, Mecheri, Salem -636453. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Plants are having more influence on man’s life due to their applications in the areas like medicine, food and agro industry. Every plant is like a treasure and man has to explore its usefulness. Most of the plants are utilized in their natural form with minimum benefits. So the potentiality of the plant has to be analyzed for its derivatives and be adapted for the advantage of man. In this paper, Thevetia peruviana plant, commonly known as Yellow oleander has been taken for study and the applications of its derivatives have been discussed. In spite of the toxicity of the plant, it has been found to be useful in several spheres of life. Its derivatives are categorized into latex, stem bark, seed, seed oil and seed cake which can be used for specific applications. Seed cake can be used as an ingredient in livestock feed after detoxification. So detoxification methods have been also discussed.
Keywords: Plant; Thevetia peruviana; Biodiesel; Biooil; Toxicity; Detoxification.
- Deka DC, Basumatary S. High quality biodiesel from yellow oleander (Thevetia peruviana) seed oil. Biomass and Bioenergy. 201;35:1797-1803.
- Usman LA, Oluwaniyi OO, Ibiyemi SA, Muhammad NO, Ameen O. The potential of Oleander (Thevetia peruviana) in African agricultural and industrial development: a case study of Nigeria. J Appl Biosci. 2009; 24:1477-1487.
- Oluwaniyi OO, Ibiyemi SA. Extractability of Thevetia peruviana glycosides with alcohol mixture. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2007;6(18):2166-2170.
- Balusamy T, Marappan R. Performance evaluation of direct injection diesel engine with blends of Thevetia peruviana seed oil and diesel, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 2007;66:1035-1040.
- Sanjay B. Yellow Oleander (Thevetia peruviana) seed oil biodiesel as an alternative and renewable fuel for diesel engines: A review. Int J ChemTech Res. 2014;7(6):2823-2840.
- Ibiyemi SA, Fadipe VO, Akinremi OO, Bako SS. Variation in oil composition of Thevetia peruviana juss yellow oleander fruit seeds. Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management. 2002;6(2):61-65.
- Rezvi NS.Yellow oleander poisoning in eastern province: an analysis of admission and outcome. Indian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2013;67(7-8):178-183.
- Barceloux DG. Medical Toxicology of Natural Substances. A John Wiley & Sons Publication, 2008. pp. 854-855.
- Bose TK, Basu RK, Biswas B. Cardiovascular effects of yellow oleander. Indiana Med Asso. 1999; 97(10):407-410.
- Atteh JO, Ibiyemi SA, Ojo AO. Response of broilers to dietary levels of thevetia cake. Journal of Agricultural Science. 1995;125:307-310.
- Oluwaniyi OO, Ibiyemi SA, Usman LA. Effect of detoxification on the nutrient content of Thevetia peruviana seed cake. Res J Appl Sci. 2007;2:188-191.
- Kareru PG, Keriko JM, Kenji GM, Gachanja AN. Anti-termite and antimicrobial properties of paint made from Thevetia peruviana (pers) Schum. Oil extract. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2010;4(2):87- 89.
- Oluwaniyi OO, Ibiyemi SA. Efficacy of catalysts in the batch esterification of the fatty acids of Thevetia peruviana seed oil. Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management. 2003;7(1):15-17.
- Balusamy T, Marappan R. Performance evaluation of direct injection diesel engine with blends of Thevetia peruviana seed oil and diesel. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 2007;66:1035-1040.
- Kannan TK, Marappan R. Study of performance and emissions characteristics of a diesel engine using Thevetia peruviana biodiesel with Diethyl ether blends. European Journal of Scientific Research. 2010;43(4):563-570.
- Mohan SK, Kannan TK. Optimization and production of biodiesel from cottonseed oil and neem oil. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology. 2016;1(1):25-28.
- Bobade VV, Kulkarni KS, Kulkarni AD. Application of heterogeneous catalyst for the production of biodiesel. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology. 2011;2(2):184-185.
- Kannan TK, Marappan R. Thevetia peruviana biodiesel emulsion used as a fuel in a single cylinder diesel engine reduces Nox and smoke. Thermal Science. 2011; 15(4):1185-1191.
- Kannan TK, Marappan R. Study of performance and emission characteristics of diesel engine fueled with diethyl ether blended Thevetia peruviana biodiesel emulsion. Journal of Energy Institute. 2012; 85(12):183-187.
- Hulwan DB, Joshi SV, Aghav YV. Study on properties improvement and performance benefit of diesel-ethanol-biodiesel blends with higher percentage of ethanol in a multi cylinder IDI diesel engine. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology. 2010;1(2):184-185.