International Journal of Industrial Engineering
May-June 2019, Vol. 3, No. 5-6, pp. 42-46.
Efficient LComparison of Flexible Polyurethane Foam Produced by using Sunflower Oil, Soybean Oil and Palm Kernel Oil as Polyol
E. I. Victor¹*, J. O. Okechukwu², N. O. Alfred³
¹Department of Pure and Industrial Chemistry, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Anambra State, Nigeria.
²Department of Chemistry, Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria.
³Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
The research for a possible total replacement of petroleum-based polyol with renewable oil for the production of flexible polyurethane foams has been on the increasing recently. This is because of the enormous benefits that lie in renewable oil. In this work, 3 renewable oils namely sunflower oil, palm kernel oil and soybean oil were each used to replace 20% of petroleum-based polyol in polyurethane foam production and the foams produced were labeled S1, S2, and S3 respectively. These were compared with a control sample (S0) made with only petroleum-based polyol. A density of 24kg/m3 was used for this work. Tests carried out on the various samples showed that palm kernel oil is a better substituent for petroleum-based polyol than the other oils.
Keywords: Sunflower oil; Soybean oil; Palm oil; Gell time; Rise time; Compression set; Elongation at break point.
- Ekkaphan P, Sooksai S, Nuanphun C, Petsom A. Bio-based polyols from seed oils for water-blown rigid polyurethane foam preparation. International Journal of Polymer Science 2016;2016:1-11.
- Shufen L, Zhi J, Kaijun Y, Shuqin Y, Chow WK. Studies on the thermal behaviour of polyurethanes. Polymer Plastic Technology Engineering 2006;45:98-108.
- Lee ST, Ramesh NS. Polymeric foams: mechanisms and materials. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2004.
- Aremu MO, Ojetade JO, Olaluwoye OS. Production of flexible polyurethane foam using soybean oil and palm kernel oil as surfactant and polyol respectively. Chemical and Process Engineering Research 2015;35:24-31.
- Beltran AA, Boyaca LA. Production of rigid polyurethane foams from soybased polyols. Latin American Applied Research 2011;41:75.
- Victor EI, Okechukwu JO, Femi MA, Ogbonneya OM. Polyurethane foam production using sunflower oil and soybean oil as polyol and surfactant. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology 2019;4(2):48-53.
- Rui X. Polyurethane foams containing renewable castor oil replacement. Unpublished masters of science (MSc) thesis presented to the Faculty of the Graduate School, The University of Missouri, Columbia, 2014:6,10.
- Niemeyer T, Patel M, Geiger E. A further examination of soy-based polyols in polyurethane systems. Alliance for the polyurethane industry technical conferences, Salt Lake City, UT, 2006.
- Lligadas G, Ronda JC, Galià M, Cadiz V. Renewable polymeric materials from vegetable oils: a perspective. Materials Today 2013;16(9):337-43.
- de Espinosa LM, Meier MAR. Plant oils: the perfect renewable resources for polymer science?. European Polymer Journal 2011;47(5):837-52.
- Miao S, Wang P, Su Z, Zhang S. Vegetable oil-based polymer as future polymeric biomaterials. Acta Biomaterialia 2014;10(4):1692-704.
- Zhang C, Madbouly SA, Kessler MR. Biobased polyurethanes prepared from different vegetable oil. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2015;7(3):1226-33.
- Zhou X, Sain MM, Oksman K. Semi-rigid biopolyurethane foams based on palm oil polyol and reinforced with cellulose nanocrystals. Applied Science and Manufacturing 2016;83:56-62.
- Prodhan UK, Jannatul Q, Sidur MR, Islam MA, Link MR, Rahman MN. Chemical characteristics of different brands of soybean oil available in Bangladesh. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology 2015;4(4):338-43.
- Kailas MT, Mahajan DT. Studies on physiochemical properties of soybean oil and its blend with petroleum oils. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology 2012; 3(2):511-17.
- Brien ORD. Fats and Oils Formulating and Processing for Application. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2004.
- Evangelos GG. Analysis of 22 vegetable oils' physiochemical properties and fatty acid composition on a statistical basis, and correlation with the degree of unsaturation. Renewable Energy 2018;126:403-19.
- Tu Y, Suppes G, Hsieh F. Water-blown rigid and flexible polyurethane foams containing epoxidized soybean oil triglycerides. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2008;109(1):537-44.
- Salgin U, Döker O, Çalimli A. Extraction of sunflower oil with supercritical CO2: experiments and modeling. Journal of Supercritical Fluids 2006;38:326-31.
- Öztürk T, Murat M. Effects of the storage period on the physicomechanical and some quality properties of sunflower seeds (Helianthus annus L.). GOÜ Ziraat Fakültesi Dergisi 2011;28(2):33-41.
- Amira PO, Babalola OO, Oyediran AM. Physicochemical properties of palm kernel oil. Current Research Journal of Biological Sciences 2014; 6(5):205-7.
- Atasie VN, Akinhanmi TF. Extraction, compositional studies and physicochemical characteristics of palm kernel oil. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 2009;8(6):800-3.
- Victor EI, Louis IC, Alfred NO, Ozioma UN. Use of chicken eggshells as fillers in flexible polyurethane foam production. International Journal of Industrial Engineering 2019;3(1):1-6.
- Ogunfeyitimi OS, Okewale AO, Igbokwe PK. The use of castor oil as a reactive monomer in synthesis of flexible polyurethane foam. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Sciences and Engineering 2012;3(10):10-14.