International Journal of Industrial Engineering
May-June 2019, Vol. 3, No. 5-6, pp. 47-50.
Efficient Load Balancing and Optimized Routing Protocol for Wireless Network
B. Jeeba Judit, J. Rangarajan
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Muthayammal Engineering College, Rasipuram, Namakkal – 637 408. Tamil Nadu, India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
One of the primary objectives of wireless sensor networks is to provide full coverage of a sensing field as-long-as possible. With the limited energy of sensor nodes, organizing these nodes into a maximal number of subgroups capable of monitoring all discrete points of interest and then alternately activating them is a prevalent way to provide better quality of surveillance. In addition to maximizing the number of subgroups, the connectivity of sensor nodes is also important while achieving full coverage. Thus, we develop a novel maximum connected load-balancing cover tree (MCLCT) algorithm to achieve full coverage as well as BS-connectivity of each sensing node by dynamically forming load-balanced routing cover trees. Through MCLCT, the burden of nodes in sensing and transmitting can be shared, so energy consumption among nodes becomes more evenly. Extensive simulation results show that our solution outperforms the existing ones in terms of energy efficiency.
Keywords: Load balancing; Routing protocol; Wireless Network; Maximum connected load-balancing cover tree algorithm.
- Georgiadis L, Neely MJ, Tassiulas L. Resource Allocation and Cross-Layer Control in Wireless Networks. Foundations and Trends in Networking 2006;1:1-144.
- Gnawali O, Fonseca R, Jamieson K, Kazandjieva M, Moss D, Levis P. Ctp: An efficient, robust, and reliable collection tree protocol for wireless sensor networks. ACM Trans Sen Netw 2013;10:16:1-16.
- Miorandi D, Vitturi S. Hybrid wired/wireless implementations of profibus dp: A feasibility study based on ethernet and bluetooth. Comput Commun 2004;27:946-60.
- Mirabella O, Brischetto M. A hybrid wired/wireless networking infrastructure for greenhouse management. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 2011;60:398-407.
- Moeller S, Sridharan A, Krishnamachari B. Gnawali O. Routing without routes: the backpressure collection protocol. Proceedings of the 9th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks. Stockholm, Sweden. 2010
- Seno L, Vitturi S, Tramarin F. Experimental evaluation of the service time for industrial hybrid (wired/wireless) networks under non-ideal environmental conditions. Proceedings of the 16th IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies Factory Automation. 2011.
- Si W, Hashemi M, Xin L, Starobinski D, Trachtenberg A. Teacp: A toolkit for evaluation and analysis of collection protocols in wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management 2015;12:293-307.
- Sun Y, Belding-Royer EM. Application-oriented routing in hybrid wireless networks. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications. 2013.
- Tripathi J, de Oliveira J, Vasseur J, “Performance Evaluation of Routing Protocol for Low Power and Lossy Networks (RPL). IETF Draft 2011.
- Zeng W, Khalid MA, Chowdhury S. In-vehicle networks outlook: achievements and challenges. IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials 2016;18:1552-71.